Who are Act Two?
Name, and legal structure
David Wilkinson chose the name "Act Two" for the driver training business he began on 19 January 1996 as a sole trader (having chosen "Act One" for his actuarial consultancy business). On 6 April 1999, the business converted to a partnership (unlimited, of two equal partners) comprising Lisa Anderson and David Wilkinson. On 6 April 2003, the business converted back to that of a sole trader, David Wilkinson.
The legal structure has remained unchanged since.
The only people who currently provide, or have historically provided, driver training on behalf of Act Two are:
Minimum qualifications and experience
Why have the above three people been the only ones ever to have been used by Act Two? Because we are very, very slective. Anyone who wants to work for Act two must have, as a bare minimum, the following qualifications and experience:
We describe below the particular skills of our individual trainers (beyond those listed above).
- Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor (Car).
- Adult Education Teacher (City & Guilds 7307, stages 1 and 2).
- RoSPA National Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction.
- Institute of Advanced Motorists' Senior Observer.
- Proven experience in the successful training of drivers to advanced test standard (not just on one day defensive courses, but real success in preparing candidates for various advanced tests).
- Examiner for a DSA-approved advanced driving test (in both cars and minibuses).
Lisa Anderson DipDI
Lisa Anderson is one of the highest civilian qualified female advanced driving instructors in the UK. She began training private clients for advanced driving tests in 1993, since when the first time pass rate of those she has prepared for the various advanced driving tests has averaged around 90%. As well as the points noted above, common to all Act Two trainers, Lisa:
Lisa is a Senior Observer for Birmingham Advanced Motorists, where she prepares candidates for the advanced driving test, carries out mock tests, and helps train their Observers. In 1999 she co-founded Birmingham ADIs, a not-for-profit organisation aimed at improving the standards of driving instructors in and around Birmingham. Lisa is a member of the Association of Industrial Road Safety Officers, the Institute of Advanced Motorists, RoSPA's Advanced Drivers' Association, the Driving Instructors' Association, and the Motor Schools Association.
- Has held the DIA Diploma in Driving Instruction since 1995, and tutors other driving instructors for the qualification.
- Holds an unrestricted Category D1 licence, and specialises in minibus driver training. For example, between 6.10.1998 and 26.11.2002 she has trained 494 staff and students at Birmingham University in safer minibus driving.
- Successfully trains potential driving instructors for DSA Part 1, 2 and 3 tests; and existing ADIs for the Cardington test.
- Has trained BBC and RoSPA staff on advanced driving courses.
A former Royal Engineer, Alan Timms is now one of the highest qualified advanced driving instructors in the UK. Alan jointly holds a modest world record, that of having passed the most advanced driving tests in one weekend: he passed all 14 tests of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, from motorcycle to 38 tonne articulated truck. From 1991 to 2000 Alan served as a Driving Instructor to West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service, where he gained vast experience training Brigade staff to drive emergency vehicles, from DSA L-test standard to high speed response. As well as the points noted above, common to all Act Two trainers, Alan:
He is a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (and a Senior Observer for Birmingham Advanced Motorists) and of RoSPA's Advanced Drivers' Association.
- Holds RoSPA's National Diploma in Advanced Motorcycle Instruction, and prepares candidates for advanced motorcycle tests.
- Is a Police Advanced Car Instructor.
- Is a Skid-Car Instructor, and ATB Qualified Off-Road Instructor.
- Organises and runs Diploma courses for the West Midlands Group of RoSPA ADA.
David Wilkinson BSc, DipDI
Since 1989, David has prepared candidates for over 100 advanced driving tests, with a first time pass rate of over 90%. He has taken and passed 17 advanced tests and retests, including minibus and motorcycle. As well as the points noted above, common to all Act Two trainers, David:
David is a Senior Observer for both Birmingham and Solihull Advanced Motorists. In 1999 he co-founded Birmingham ADIs to improve the standards of ADIs in and around Birmingham. He is a member of the Association of Industrial Road Safety Officers, and has served on its Road Safety Group as an elected member since 1998. He is a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, RoSPA's Advanced Drivers' Association, the Driving Instructors' Association, the Motor Schools Association, and the Institute of Master Tutors of Driving.
- Was the top UK candidate in the examinations for the DIA Diploma in Driving Instruction when he passed all five modules in 1994, and now tutors other instructors for the qualification.
- Is the fastest person ever to qualify as a DIAmond Advanced Driving Instructor (42 days after becoming an ADI) and has thrice taken and passed the DSA's Special Test for ADIs (the "Cardington" test) at Grade A. As this test was (sadly) weakened from 1.8.2002, he has also since taken and passed the DIAmond Special Test.
- Delivers classroom-based and on road training in safer minibus driving at Birmingham University (to over 1,000 students and staff since 1998).
- Has written on Road Traffic Law for Driving Magazine, and gives talks on road traffic law (and other topics) to local ADI, IAM and RoSPA Groups.
Act Two home page